Nora gets admitted
<left> was admitted for the first time in my whole entire life. Was down with severe gastroenteritis (note: stomach flu) during Bali. I had severe epigastric pain, diarrhea and vomiting in Bali but it was somewhat tolerable. I went Bali from 9th to 14th January, and it all started on the 10th. Didn't see my GP when I'm back in Singapore because it got better. Besides, we all know that the best remedy for gastroenteritis is fluids and rest. It got progressively better over the days and I even had the energy to go Adventure Cove with the angels albeit the mild epigastric pain and a few trips to the toilet. In case you were wondering, no, I so did not turn the whole pool brown. </left>
However, it all flare up on the 17th January. I started making frequent trips to the toilet, had severe epigastric pain (pain score ranging from 8-10), extreme nausea and giddiness. Told mama that I had to see the doctor stat because I was feeling extremely dehydrated. We rushed our way to the A&E and I was put on the trolley and pushed to critical care. Up till this point in time, I have already visited the toilet for more than 20 times. My diarrhea was so bad. I couldn't take anything orally because I'll end up vomiting out. The nurse then took my UE (to check my electrolytes), FBC (full blood count to check my total white) and started 2 pints of saline on me (to keep me hydrated). Medical Officer came and gave me IV Losec (for protection of stomach lining), Maxalon (for nausea & vomiting) and PO loperamide (for diarrhea). Diarrhea didn't subside, but my epigastric pain got better.
Shortly after, the Consultant came and told me that they have to keep me for one night in the observation room under GE Protocol (gastroenteritis protocol). I refused stay at first, but she told me I had to AOR (at own risk) and sign everything in black and white. After much discussion, I finally agreed to stay. Anyway, 8 hours only what. So, I was then pushed to the observation room.
Was still having severe episodes of diarrhea. During my 6th hour in the observation room, I got a temperature. Spiked 38.1C. Consultant came and started me on IV Cipro (antibiotics) and told me I have to be admitted because my GE is really very bad and because of the spike of temperature. Damn. Just when I thought I only have just two hours left to get everything over and done with and go home. Sigh.
So that was the story. How and why I got admitted.
Would like to take this opportunity to thank these beautiful people (and Siva who's not in the picture) who took their time to come down and give me a visit. Their presence and support means a lot. Thank you for the gifts and well wishes. Not forgetting my family members who came down, and those who text/call/video call me to keep me occupied during my stay. Your kind words and well wishes means a lot to me!
I am home now and recuperating. Am still unable to take food and still having mild episodes of diarrhea, but the doctor says it will probably take a few more days to settle. What's more important is that I'm able to retain fluids.
I can't wait to get well and eat all the food in the world already. I'm so sick and tired of being sick already.
Ps, I did not lose any weight.

Comments
Post a Comment